Did your high school host a Sadie Hawkins dance? You know what those are - those dances in which the girl asks the guy.
Maybe they didn't call it that specifically...but most schools do host some type of dance of this nature.
In my hometown, we had 3 wintertime dances in which the girl asks the guy. The sophomore year dance was called "snowflake", the junior year dance was called "mistletoe", and the senior year dance was "poinsettia".
Snowflake was fun. I went with a guy named Ray. I wore a black dress, he wore a black suit with a silver vest and a white shirt. We danced inappropriately all night long until his friend's dad took us home. That was back in February 2008...so raunchy dance music was pretty good. Not as good as when I was in middle school, but there were some good ones.
Some of the top songs in 2008 were...
1. Flo Rida feat. T-Pain - Low
2. Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
3. Alicia Keys - No One
4. Lil Wayne feat. Static Major - Lollipop
5. Timbaland feat. OneRepublic - Apologize
6. Jordin Sparks feat. Chris Brown - No Air
7. Sara Bareilles - Love Song
8. Usher feat. Young Jeezy - Love In This Club
9. Chris Brown - With You
10. Chris Brown - Forever
11. Ray J and Yung Berg - Sexy Can I
12. Rihanna - Take A Bow
13. Coldplay - Viva La Vida
14. Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl
15. T.I. - Whatever You Like
16. Rihanna - Disturbia
17. Rihanna - Don't Stop the Music
18. Natasha Bedingfield - Pocketful of Sunshine
19. Chris Brown feat. T-Pain - Kiss Kiss
20. Ne-Yo - Closer
Just to name a few!
Mistletoe, however, was not as fun. I had a secret crush on my date. He was genuinely very kind to me, but it obviously wasn't a romantic thing. Also - everyone else's dresses were far fancier than mine. I was embarrassed and self-conscious.
So much so, that I opted not to go to Poinsettia my senior year.
Take that, Sadie Hawkins!
I'm Nicole. I believe that women should have the right to ask a guy to dance whenever and however they'd like. If you agree, cool. If not, read my articles and consider my position. It's a good one.